Minimising water use
A dam that diverts storm water from adjacent convent site. Previously the water ran down to the railway, seeped into groundwater and was a cause of salinity elsewhere in Wagga Wagga.
Wetlands that dry out from November to May when filled by water from the dam or rainwater.
Tanks for house and garden – supplemented by town water.
Low water use garden practice
- Drip lines for vegetable garden and limited garden areas
- Vegetable beds watered separately according to water need
- Grouping of higher water use plants
- Choice of plants that are drought tolerant
- Minimal lawn areas
- Continual conditioning of our red clay soil with gypsum and organic matter so that water retention is increased
- Mulch, mulch, mulch
Go to Home Page, Focus 1, Focus 3, Focus 4